Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Mushroom & Shallot Quiche for Gabby's First Playdate





My daughter, Gabby, is 9 months old now. She's ready for playdates, and I hosted my first playdate at home the other day. I had another mom over who has a son who is a few weeks younger than Gabby. It was such fun to watch them play together. I made my favorite quiche for my friend and it was perfect with a bit of salad alongside. This quiche is from Dorie Greenspan, featured in the October 2006's Bon Appetit. I love Ms. Greenspan's crust, but I've changed up the filling ingredients a bit. I've posted her recipe as seen in the magazine, and in parentheses are my changes. Quiche should be served warm or at room temperature, but I always love how the leftovers taste directly out of the fridge. Recipe follows after the jump.









Mushroom and Shallot Quiche
Dorie Greenspan, Bon Appetit, October 2006


Crust
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 large egg
1 teaspoon cold water

1 large egg white, lightly beaten

Filling
1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup chopped shallots (about 2 medium)
1/2 pound mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices (I use baby bellas or white button)
5 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, divided (I usually omit this, as well)

3/4 cup whipping cream (I use 1 full cup of whole milk instead)
2 large eggs (I increase eggs to 3 large eggs)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
2 green onions (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons finely grated Gruyère cheese
(I also add 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg)

Preparation
For crust: Blend flour, salt, and sugar in processor. Add butter; using on/off turns, process until coarse meal forms. Whisk 1 egg and 1 teaspoon cold water in small bowl; add to flour mixture. Using on/off turns, process just until moist clumps form. Transfer to work surface and knead gently until dough comes together, about 4 turns. Form into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic and chill 1 hour. Do ahead: Dough can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.

Butter 9 1/2-inch round fluted tart pan with removable bottom. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer dough to pan, pressing onto bottom and up sides of pan; trim any excess dough. Chill 1 hour. (I've skipped this step on occasion & just put the crust directly into the oven, however... I've read that a super cold crust turns much flakier and tastier than a room temperature crust does in the oven).

Preheat oven to 400°F. Butter large square of foil and press, butter side down, onto crust. Fill with pie weights or dried beans. Bake 20 minutes. Remove foil and weights. Using fork, pierce bottom of crust all over (about 10 times). Bake until golden, about 10 minutes. Brush lightly with egg white. Cool. Do ahead: Can be baked 6 hours ahead. (I've left it overnight and it's been just fine). Let stand at room temperature.

For filling:
Melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add shallots; sauté until soft, about 2 minutes. Add mushrooms; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Increase heat to high and sauté until liquid is absorbed and mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle with 2 1/2 teaspoons thyme and cook 1 minute. Transfer mixture to plate. Cool mushrooms completely.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Place cooled crust in pan on baking sheet. Sprinkle with remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons thyme. Drain mushrooms, if needed. Scatter mushrooms over thyme. Whisk cream, eggs, salt, and pepper in medium bowl. Pour egg mixture over mushrooms. Sprinkle with green onions and cheese.

Bake quiche until custard is set, about 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.

1 comment:

cindy* said...

babies and quiche! delightful.