Friday, June 13, 2008

Spinach and Onion Dip





Eddie and I love to entertain – especially in the summer. So, I am always looking for quick and easy appetizers that I can put together for an unexpected dinner party. Flipping through a recent issue of Martha Stewart I can across a creamy spinach and onion dip. It looked delicious, but called for a few things that I rarely have in my kitchen – watercress and avocado. However, I liked the concept –a little cooking on the stovetop, the puree everything in the blender. So, I decided to create my own dip using ingredients that I normally have. It turned out really well. It is super nutritious – full of fresh spinach and yogurt. I used plain low-fat yogurt that was in my fridge. In the future I would prefer to use plain Greek yogurt to make the dip a little thicker. This is sure to make an appearance many times this summer when something refreshing is needed to combat the summer heat. Enjoy!

Spinach and Onion Dip

2 tbs. olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
10 oz. fresh spinach (Add more if you like)
1 c. plain yogurt
1 tbs. lemon zest
2 teas. fresh lemon juice
Salt and pepper

1. Heat olive oil in large skillet.
2. Sauté onions until translucent (6-8 minutes).
3. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute.
4. Add spinach to skillet and cook until spinach is wilted and most of the water that is released has evaporated.
5. Dump spinach mix into food processor. Add yogurt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Process until smooth.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
7. Place in refrigerator for at least one hour to set up.
8. Serve with veggies, pita chips of crackers.

1 comment:

Prudy said...

That looks so delicious and so healthy with the yogurt. I will definitely make this!