Friday, July 11, 2008

TWD Blueberry Pie - Erin's take




I know, I know. I am completely late in posting about the blueberry pie this week that was the Tuesday's with Dorie recipe. Normally I would have just left the Smell the Basil take completely to my on-time partner Shirlie who posted on Tuesday. But, I think the picture I took looked so good I just had to share.

Funny thing about this challenge was that I made the pie a week before the challenge, not even knowing that the recipe for the week was going to be Blueberry Pie. I just stopped by a farm stand on my way home one day and the blueberries looked so good that I couldn't pass them up. So, pie it was!

I kind of combined Dorie's recipe for the blueberry filling, and a Martha Stewart recipe for pie dough that I use all the time. (Unlike Shirlie who has an aversion to fruit desserts, I would take a fruit pie over chocolate any day of the week, so I end up making a lot of pies in the summer.)

My secret to making pie dough is to replace 1 tablespoon of water with 1 tablesoon of apple cider vinegar. I can't even remember who told me to do this, or even the chemisty behind it... but it makes a great flaky pie dough every time. One day I will post my "official" pie dough recipe, but I leave for the beach in the morning so I need to pack.

Anyways, the blueberry pie was great. Problem was... Eddie doesn't like fruit desserts. He didn't even eat a bit of this pie! Oh well, more for me... And the friends and neighbors I ended up giving some to so that I wouldn't have to throw it away.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the fruit desserts -- never been much of a chocolate gal.

The Cook's Illustrated folks also switch out some of the water in their pie crusts -- but they switch it out with vodka. I haven't tried it yet, but I've heard good things about it.

Jules Someone said...

You are so fired. Good thing your pie came out well. You are one of us again. ;-)

Bungalow Barbara said...

People who won't eat home-made blueberry pie--amazing. Until reading this week's post I didn't even know they existed ;)

Love your pie!

My grandma always put a little vinegar in her pie crusts. The acid is supposed to retard gluten formation, keeping the crust from getting tough. Or so I've heard...